Israel throws Hezbollah a curve...
Hezbollah spokesman Mahmoud Komati has said something, well, rather foolish...
"The truth is _ let me say this clearly _ we didn't even expect (this) response.... that (Israel) would exploit this operation for this big war against us," said Komati.
He said Hezbollah had expected "the usual, limited response" from Israel to the July 12 cross-border raid, in which three Israelis were killed.
We can all thank Mahmoud for putting to rest the big lie of "proportional response". As we explained just a post or two ago, tit-for-tat is precisely the game Hezbollah wants to play. Hezbollah has operated under the assumption that they will take a shot at Israel, and Israel will take a shot back. This in fact became standard operating procedure for Hezbollah, and they were willing to continue ad infinitum, or until they had developed an even more advantageous strategy.
Hezbollah counted on Israeli restraint and Western compunction and complacency to protect them. That's how the game had been played. But Israel, tired of this situation, sensed (if not outright asked for) tacit American support of action to destroy Hezbollah, to the extent it could be done without wholesale destruction of Lebanon.
The result has been this slow grind into Lebanon by Israel. As Hezbollah has to deal with this onslaught, it should know that many voices in the West are finally onto them.
At least it should come as no surprise...Posted by MEC2 at July 25, 2006 04:01 PM